The Palestinian truce delegation has concluded the tabled round of indirect ceasefire talks with the Israeli occupation under Egyptian mediation, setting the tone for another round of truce talks to be resumed late next month, political bureau member of Hamas Ezzat al-Resheq said Tuesday.
“Each side proposed the file headlines that it wishes to include on the agenda of future negotiations,” Hamas official Ezzat Resheq said in a statement on his Facebook page. “It was agreed the talks would be resumed in the last week of October.”
Resheq confirmed that the Palestinian negotiators had pressed for propping up a Gaza ceasefire and for constructing an air and sea ports in Gaza. The negotiators further demanded that the castigatory measures imposed on the West Bank since June 12 be ended, including the release of the re-captured Wafa al-Ahrar ex-prisoners and members of the Palestinian Legislative Council.
Azzam al-Ahmad, from Fatah, Mousa Abu Marzouk and Ezzat Resheq, from Hamas, along with Khaled al-Batesh, from the Islamic Jihad, and a representative for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, Qays Abu Leila, were the five members who spearheaded the Palestinian truce envoy to Cairo.
The meeting had been put off for almost three hours as the Palestinian negotiators hesitated whether to withdraw in protest over Israel’s murder of the two Palestinian kidnap suspects Marwen Abu Eisha and Amer Qawasmi in al-Khalil hours before the talks were set to begin.
The round marks the recommencement of the Palestine-Israel deliberations over the ceasefire accords signed in Cairo on August 26. (infopalestina)